Thursday, January 22, 2009

TGIT

Thank God it's Thursday! I don't have classes on Fridays so today is my "Friday". So I officially just completed my first week of school in Spain. The classes were a lot harder than I expected but I'm starting to feel a little better about them as time goes on. We're going to have to wait and see how hard actual tests are though.

My poor, poor History teacher has such a thick accent, no one can understand him. It really sounds like a mixture of French and Spanish...I don't know if that's possible. We'll just say he a "Frenish" accent. On top of that, he barely speaks English and has a really hard time getting his point across when hes lecturing. For example, today we were going over historic Spanish symbols and their meanings. We had gone through a couple of them when he arrived to the last one. In his broken English he points and says, "This is palm grenade. It symbolize things like fertility, life, abundance. I'm thinking in my head...how does a palm grenade symbolize life?. The symbol looked NOTHING like a grenade...more like a flower of some sort. He repeated himself over and over and over; "It a palm grenade". Probably after reading the looks on the faces of his students, I think he started questioning his pronunciation. He proceeded to elaborate and said, "It's a kind of fruit". Simultaneously, everyone was like, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh pomegranate". Ehhh, palm grenade...pomegranate -same thing.

In my psychology class, where ironically, my teacher is psycho, we talked a little about the inauguration of our new President (GOBAMA!!!). The professor wanted to know our feelings on the moment and whether or not we were disappointed by not being in the country for it. Personally, I followed the election so closely from the time the primaries began, all the way to CNN calling the race on November 4th, so it would have been really nice to have had a chance to go to the Inauguration. However, I can still appreciate the magnitude of the moment and I did feel as part of it as possible. I was in my room when he was sworn in, trying, to no avail, to find a live feed on my computer. I called up Poppa in a panic and he told me where to go. Good ole HuffPost had it on their website and it actually WORKED on my computer! There were tons of people here in Spain, some Americans, some locals, who went to local bars to watch the inauguration. Obama's picture was plastered on every newspaper that day as well. I find it fascinating that the majority of these people were looking forward to the inauguration as much as the rest (well some) of America. Although I would much rather be able to say "I was at Barack Obama's inauguration", I still think it is pretty cool to be able to say, "I scoured the world wide web in a fit of panic until I found a website that televised one of the most historic moments I will likely encounter in my lifetime...and oh yea, I was in Barcelona, Spain." I will fondly remember January 20th, 2009 for the rest of my life :)

SO ITS THE WEEKEND! I don't know if I'm going out tonight or not. I'm exhausted x's 487. I do know that me and a group of friends are going to the Barcelona Aquarium tomorrow. I am really looking forward to that. Then the following day is the CEA trip to Sitges and Calcotada. Action packed weekend I have ahead of me -- I'm pretty much stoked!

Love and miss you all!

P.S - This website is not letting me post pictures at the moment. I'll be sure to add some as soon as it decides to give Hannah a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment