Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm alive

I'm alive - BARELY! I went to the Emergency Room yesterday because I couldn't get a doctor's appointment until Thursday. With a fever and my throat swollen shut that simply wasn't going to cut it. Turns out I have strep throat. The doctor prescribed me some antibiotics and pain medication to take for the next few days. I'm already feeling a tiny bit better...thank God. I just need to rest every second I get because I don't think being as tired as I am helps any.

In other news, our day trip to Calcotada and Sitges was cancelled. We walked outside to leave for the trip around 10am on Saturday and we were nearly blown over by the wind. I have never experienced gusts of wind that strong in my life. We weren't really sure if it was normal or not but we assumed it was ok to walk around because everyone else in Barcelona was too. On our way to the meeting point we saw trees uprooted from the cement, signs that had blown off their posts, and furniture that had been swept from balconies, etc. We finally got to the meeting point and the lady told us that the trip was cancelled because of the wind conditions. She said wind like this was not normal here in Barcelona and that traveling in it would be very dangerous. Apparently we had to go over a bridge to get to our destination and they were worried that the bus would blow off the bridge if a gust was strong enough. Not to mention, the winery we were going to had no power because of the weather. I was surfing the internet later and when I went on CNN.com I saw a headline that said "Severe Wind Storms in Spain". I was pretty surprised the storm had made international headlines so I opened it up to read it. It talked about how Barcelona was experiencing uncharacteristic winds that had reached up to 99 mph. Buildings had their siding ripped off (see my picture below, HAH!) and there were dead birds everywhere that had met their fate...a wall...due to strong winds. Anyway, note to self: When the wind literally can blow you over...stay inside.

Classes are going decent this week. I love my Sport & Culture class a ton. The other 4? Not so much. Oh well, nothing I can do really. Hopefully I will be feeling 100% in a day or two. I'll try to keep writing but if I'm not feeling to great I hope you can understand. Love and miss you all! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment