Wednesday, January 14, 2009

BARCELONA! :)

FINALLY! We arrived in Barcelona about 9:31 local time on the 12th. We got our luggage (thank God mine was there!) and made our way to this area where they picked up all the other CEA students! Instead of going right to our residencia, they took us to this hotel for two days called Duques de Bergara. We schlepped all of our luggage up to the 5th floor and open up the door to our room. It was legitimately 5x5 feet. The two twin beds in the room were pushed together because there wasn't enough room for them to be any other way. Good thing Carly and I know each other because that would make for one awwwkward night with a stranger. Further adding to the wonderful romantic mood in our room...a 6 ft painting of a naked women hanging over our bed(s)! :)

The next day we had CEA orientation for a few hours. Then we took this 3 hour bus tour of the city. The drive took us to some of the highest points in the city where you could see all over Barcelona and the Mediterranean Sea. It was sooooooooo beautiful! I was in my glory! We also got to go see some of Gaudi's famous works in Barcelona. We saw two apartment buildings that he designed and then we got to go to La Sagrada de Familia. These places were so intricately designed it was absolutely amazing! There is this HUGE church that towers over the rest of the buildings and ever single square inch was decorated beautifully. I didn't get many good pictures of it because it was later in the day and dark. I hope to go back when its lighter out and take a tour on the inside.

Today we finally moved into the place where we are staying; Residencia Onix. It is really really nice. Our room is a little bit run down but my pictures liven it up! I've already settled in nicely! :) In the CEA program you are responsible for your own food AKA I'm going to lose 50 lbs. We have this cute little kitchen area in our room (comes with pots, pans, silverware, etc.) with a stove and tiny little fridge. So me and Carly ventured out into Barcelona to find a supermarket. We had to walk about 5 blocks to the closest one. EVERYTHING THERE WAS IN SPANISH! I know, I know I know, I'm in Spain. But seriously! Never have I been so confused about something I know SO well...food. We got the basics: chicken, pasta, soup, bread, etc. I'll be sure to report how miserably my meals go! We also spent about 10 minutes looking at the wall of hygiene products. We couldn't figure out the difference between the body wash, shampoo, and conditioner (my pocket spanish dictionary would have been handy, but NO, I left it in my room). We thought we figured it out...turns out Carly purchased two different bottles of body wash. Still on our list: lotion

We got our course schedules and I got all the classes I wanted! I'm taking Macroeconomics (ew), Spanish, Judaism and Islam in Spain, Sport & Culture in Spain, anddd Psychological Interactions! All of the classes are an hour and a half long (uughhhh) and my school for 4 of the 5 classes is only a two minute walk from here. I'm probably going to have to take the subway to get to the other building. Andddd that means I will probably manage to end up somewhere in Poland the first day!

So far I'm really enjoying myself! I have met a bunch of wonderful people! I think we're all going to go out and LEGALLY have some wine and tapas (small appetizer-like means) later. Hopefully I feel a little more settled in once classes begin. BUT SO FAR I CAN'T COMPLAIN! I'm in a beautiful city and meeting some wonderful people!

love and miss you all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment