Friday, January 16, 2009

I MADE EDIBLE FOOD!

Wooooo! Carly and I made our first meal tonight! And yes, I actually did some cooking. IT WAS DELICIOUS! We made shrimp scampi from this recipe book that Carly brought with her from home. I crushed the garlic, diced the carrots, and sauteed the shrimp in butter! Weeeuuuu! I'm pretty proud of myself! You all know I am cooking challenged so this is kind of a big deal. *pat on the back*

Other than that today was a pretty uneventful day. We got up at a decent hour to go grocery shopping again. Turns out the supermarket that was like 6 blocks from our place isn't the only one in the area. There is actually one literally BELOW our hotel! HAH! Good move Hannah & Carly! Anyway, we picked up some groceries and it cost an arm and a leg (I appreciate you foodmakers/buyers).

Last night we went to this place called Espitos Chupitos. It only served shots and they had like 400 to choose from. We had some really fun ones! There was one that you took and then had pop rocks right after; delicious! Then there was another one called "The Boy Scout" and you roasted a marshmellow over a flame that was set on the table. Then you had the shot which was chocolate-y tasting and chased it with the roasted marshmellow. ALL IN ALL, really fun night!

We also went to find our school building today. My first class on Monday is about a 20 minute walk through the city. I could take the metro but its 1.35E for one trip so that would add up BIG TIME! I think I'm just gonna have to leave super early and make the trek. The other school building where 4 of my 5 classes are, is only a two minute walk, thankfully.

Don't really know whats on the agenda for tomorrow. I think we might go shopping a little bit! Other than that, I know I'm staying in for the night. I want to get two good nights of sleep before school starts on Monday. It's almost time to crack down so I gotta get ready for that. This week of free time has been nice but I am really ready to have some work to do. Also, I have a meeting on January 22 for possible volunteering opportunities. There is only one thing I am eligible for (thankfully it was the one I wanted to do) and it involves volunteering at a hospital for really ill children. You basically spend your time reading to them, playing with them in playrooms etc. I really think it would be a good way to work on my Spanish (the kids don't really judge you when you mess up). Also, I think with all the money people have given to me to make this trip possible, I should do something good with it. What better way to do that then help out at this place? So, its unlikely I get it because there are so many people in this program but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!

We're heading out tonight for one more night on the town! It's one of my friends 21st birthday tonight so we're going out to celebrate. I hope everyone has had a great day! I love and miss you all soooo much! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment