Friday, January 23, 2009

La Rambla

We left to go the Barcelona Aquarium at about 2 in the afternoon. It was about 62 degrees and a beautiful day here in Barcelona. We figured we would save ourselves some money and walk the ten million miles to the aquarium. About two miles before the aquarium you get to this street called "La Rambla". It's a pretty famous street here in Barcelona and very popular with the tourists. The whole street is lined with little cafes, stores, street vendors, entertainers, and pick pockets.

So the adventure began at the beginning of La Rambla where there is a big plaza called "Placa Catalunya". Placa Catalunya is this big walking area that has been taken over by pigeons. When we got to the plaza there were probably thousands of pigeons just chilling there. Unfortunately, we had to walk through the mini pigeon army to get to La Rambla. While it was one of the most scariest things I've ever experienced, it was probably one of the funnest things that I've been around here. Yes, sounds stupid I know, but the pigeons were fascinating to me. This one man came and had bread in his hand and literally ALL of the pigeons swarmed to him. I would have freaked out had I been him. There were these precious little kids who were playing with the pigeons too. Then there was this HUGE gust of wind and all of the pigeons started flying RIGHT at us. I was so scared I was going to get hit or pooped on by a bird; either would have been mortifying. If both had happened simultaneously I probably would have sat in a box and shipped myself home.

Then we got on La Rambla where I witnessed my first pick pocketing incident. The guy was looking like a total Creeper McCreeperson when we saw him walking our way. He slowed down near this one person and all of the sudden you see this person's wallet in his hand. Within seconds he had disappeared into the crowd. All in one swift motion this persons wallet was gone and they didn't have a clue. Scary stuff! Everyone spent the rest of the walk clutching their wallets and purses for dear life. Me? I took an extra level of precaution and walked around the rest of the afternoon with my wristlet in my pants :)

The rest of the walk down La Rambla I just took a million pictures and took in the sights. Every few hundred feet there are these entertainers that paint themselves to look like scultpures and what not. Then there is this stretch of street that has artists who sell their drawings and paintings along the side. I also found this nice little gelatto place about half way down La Rambla. I bought a large (I had to) and that meant I got to have 4 different scoops. I chose raspberry, kiwi, mango, and cookies and cream. All of the flavors were delicious but raspberry was by far my favorite. I definitely want to try some more another time!

We finally got the end of La Rambla where we thought the Aquarium was located. Turns out it was about two miles down another road. We were exhausted from walking around all afternoon so we opted to go to the Aquarium another day. I'm so overly tired it's not even funny anymore. I could probably sleep for two weeks straight and not wake up once. All in all it was a good day and I am really excited for tomorrow (the day trip to a couple towns). I'll be sure to post some pictures from today and tomorrows trip next blog. Love and miss you all <3

No comments:

Post a Comment