Monday, February 23, 2009

STEP!

So I made the decision to join the gym this past weekend. I figured it would be a good idea even though it cost me 130 Euro and I really only have two months left. During the weekdays I tend to get incredibly homesick and I think its because I do a lot of sitting around. So I figured joining the gym and getting out of the room everyday would help with that. I sure hope so. My membership is for off-peak hours only (7-11, 3-5, 8-close). I didn't think abiding by that schedule would be much of a problem. As long as you are entering the gym before the off peak hours end, you are free to stay and work out. I entered at 4:56pm today...off peak hours ended at 5. WOO! Anyway, the gym membership comes with access to the gym, pool, sauna, and to all of their classes; spinning, step, kick boxing, pilates, yoga, etc. I think classes are going to be a lot of fun for me. I'm someone who needs to be told to workout. When it comes to motivating myself to get up and exercise, we have problems. However, if I have someone screaming at me in Spanish to keep moving my behind...I'll do it.

First class attended? STEP '45. Carly and I decided to try that one out this afternoon. Boy, was that an adventure! Step is exactly what it sounds like...stepping. You get one of those exercise boxes and basically tango with it. We were new to the class so everyone was staring at us. The tall, awkward girl, and the short, blonde...we were a spectacle. The whole class was taught in Spanish which was a small problem at first. The instructor was trying to...instruct us...and we weren't really understanding her that well. Luckily, there was a woman in the class who spoke Spanish and English. The woman said, "She is telling you to stop looking so scared, breathe, and relax.". GOOD ADVICE!

We got started and I was lost like nobody's business. You would learn one step, then add another, and another, and another, until basically after 10 minutes you had an entire dance. Not understanding the first step kind of started me off on the wrong foot...literally. Before long I got into the groove of things and was rolllllllling. There were moments where having two left feet really became an issue, but I worked through them. The instructor was getting a kick out of Carly and I. Basically, my fellow class participants got a free comedy show with their step class.

WHAT A WORKOUT! Oh my gosh. I have not sweat that hard since we lost at sectionals for HS Basketball....AND THAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO! It was 50 minutes of non-stop cardio...I wanted to DIE at first, but then I caught my second wind. I absolutely LOVED the class. Despite the confusion in the beginning, I really did get the hang of everything towards the end. The instructor was so much fun and so were the dances. I definitely want to attend the class again next week! It feels nice to know I have something going on every Monday now. It'll keep me busy and I'm getting some exercise out of it; I'm thinking I made a good investment.

SO! I'm thinking I'll sleep like a baby tonight. Scorreeeee! Before I sleep, I should probably go finish studying for my Sport&Culture Mid-Term thats tomorrow. Wish me luck! I love and miss you all <3

No comments:

Post a Comment