Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I have officially LIVED!

Sooooo the end of Carnaval was last night! It was basically the culmination of the weeks festivities...one last hoorah if you will! I had the time of my LIFE! I totally made an "irresponsible" decision and went, but I'm really glad I did. The biggest celebration in the area is about 45 minutes from Barcelona in this town called Sitges. The party doesn't really get kicking till like 10 or 11pm and keeps going till about 5 or 6 am. We ended up taking a Renfe train out to Sitges around 11pm. I, personally, was ready for bed. I knew we wouldn't get back until incredibly late and I happen to have a huge mid-term tomorrow, as well as a presentation (and my group members haven't emailed me their slides yet for the powerpoint I have to make...JOY!). So I knew how exhausted I would be and I didn't think going would be a good idea. However, I'm only in Spain once and I probably won't get to experience a Spanish Carnaval again...so I WENT! I totally did the "unlike Hannah" thing...and I'm happy with my decision. It was probably the most fun I've had here yet!

Everyone dresses up in costumes for this last night. The Spanish people, my gosh, GO ALL OUT WITH THEIR COSTUMES! There were people who made themselves into giant pacmen, legos, barbies, etc. It was hilarious and so much fun to walk around and just look at all of the people. I, being the broke girl that I am, did not want to spend money on a costume. I ended up taking one of my scarves (purchased in NYC with grammy!) and made it into a toga shirt. Then I went to this little dollar store and got myself some gold string and flowers for my hair. I don't know what I was exactly...I guess I'll go with greek goddess?! Some of my friends went all out with costumes. We had Dylan, the sombrero wearing spiderman and my friend Mike, who wore a Flinestone-eque dress with a red wig and cowboy hat. Then there were others who went costume shopping on a budget. My dear friend Sara went with a hat...in the shape of an actual turkey.

Anyway, we got there around 11:40 and walked down to the area where the parade was. It was basically a huge MOB! People climbing on walls, dancing and singing, etc. It was like what I imagine Mardi Gras to be in New Orleans. It was QUITE the experience. After about 2 hours of getting crushed,dancing, hit on, and pictures taken with others, we decided it was a good hour to head back home. We ended up waiting in the cold for the train from 1:30am...to 2:30. I had no jacket...and it was 40 degrees out. Woooo! After the train ride, cab ride, and late night ramen-noodle-soup-eating-session, we went to bed at about 4:30 am. I had to get up for class at 9. HAH! I did it though. You will be pleased to know, out of the 17 students in my morning Spanish class, I was 1 of 3 people who showed up. I was pretty proud :)

I had so much fun last night! The best way I can really describe it is CRAZY and FUN! I'm sure that really does no good though. I'll be sure to attach some pictures to show you all. I won't be able to write till at least Sunday because I will be in London all weekend! I'll be sure to be safe and take lots of pictures! I love and miss you all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment