Wednesday, February 11, 2009

one of those days...

In reference to one of little Hannah and Trevor's favorite childhood movies, you could say I had a "terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day" yesterday. Just one of those days I guess. It's kind of frustrating because I seem to have them a lot here. I'm sure its because of the homesickness, stress, over-tiredness, etc.

I was supposed to go to Camp Nou to have a tour with my Sport & Culture class at 10:45 in the morning. Camp Nou is on the other side of Barcelona in comparison to where I live, so I planned my metro trip out and left with what I thought would be enough time to get there. I still arrived about 6 minutes late. Now if you know me, you know I cannot STAND being late. Being late is probably one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to other people and I get incredibly upset with myself when I'm late. So I started off my day being a little ticked off at good ole me. Then my teacher, the nicest man in the world, didn't want to leave the meeting point because he believed that more people would be coming. No one else came for about 5 minutes so he decided we should start walking over to the stadium. Then we got the stadium and he decided we should wait about 5 more minutes for people before we went inside. No one came. Once inside, he decided we should wait another 5 minutes before we bought tickets. No one came. FINALLY, he took attendance and purchased the tickets. By this time it is 11:30 and I have a class, on the other side of Barcelona, at 12:30. Awesome. I really, really, really wanted to at least see some of the tour so I tried to stretch my time there out as long as humanly possible. We walk in and I'm feeling kind of optimistic, "At least I'll get to see a little bit of the stadium". Nope. We proceeded to walk over to a huge line that was waiting for a 3D tour of the Camp Nou. Now, I could have missed my next class because technically it is excused because I was on a field trip. But still, my teacher in my next class is really strict, hates people being late, and I don't feel confident enough in my knowledge to miss a class...so I had to go. I was so looking forward to this trip because we were going to get to go down on the field, in the press box, and see the locker rooms. To say I was bummed is putting it lightly. At 11:45 I decided I needed to go so I could give myself 45 minutes to get back. I told him I had to attend my next class, that I was sorry, and I then proceeded to BOLT back to the main campus. I made it to campus at 12:28, totally drenched in sweat. Ironically, my psych teacher ended up being 10 minutes late. Figures.

Further dampening my mood was my psych class. I'm not a huge fan of my professors style of teaching but she does seem like a very nice lady. A bunch of kids found out the other day that they had booked a trip to another country on the same day as our mid-term for that class. They wanted her to move it and she said that mid-terms are set in stone and non-negotionable. Plus, the syllabus had the mid-term date written right on it. Your an idiot if you schedule a flight to leave during your mid-term time. Anyway, they got incredibly mad at her for their own stupidity. They spent pretty much ten minutes ganging up on her and yelling at her. The conversation ended with this overly tanned, overly hair-gelled, overly ASSHOLE (pardon my french...) boy tell her "Oh well, we'll see how this turns out now won't we." Since when is it ok to talk to a teacher, let alone a human being like that? I don't understand alot of my classmates and their treatment of the professors. It was embarassing being part of that class.

Then it was off to my favorite class of the day (NOT); religion. I took my dreaded quiz, 5 questions, and lets just say my results were the icing on the cake that WAS my horrible day. What did I get? Let's just sayyy...my grade is the equivalent of my age last year, the equivalent of the years in two decades, the equivalent of the height of a building I wanted to jump off of. Ok, I don't want to jump off a building...but I think that gets the point across. About 80% of the people in my class got either 0 or 1 of the 5 questions correct; there were some lucky people who guessed 2 or 3 questions right. I think that should say something about the teacher. I studied my notes, and NOTHING from them was on the quiz. So I'll try to be positive here...how can I turn the fact I got a 1 out of 5 on my first religion quiz into something positive? GOT IT! I've officially failed an exam on a continent other than North America! :)

You could say I had an enjoyable 5 hours of classes yesterday. I got back and worked on a Spanish project that I had due today (I think I'll get higher than a 20). Then Carly and I went grocery shopping because our fridge was filled, pretty much, with a solitary egg. It was my turn to pay and the cashier had to rip my debit card out of my fingers. When grocery shopping, I treated myself to an 80 cent package of 10 chocolate covered croissants. You can bet my 20 on the quiz that I ate all of them in nearly one sitting. Did I feel a little better? Absolutely. My stomach? Not so much.

Capping off my solid 24 hour period was my random bout of insomnia. I slept approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes last night. Why couldn't I sleep? I have no idea. They always recommend counting something, like sheep, to help you fall asleep. So I was like, "Oh Hannah, why don't you count the number of questions you got right on your quiz today." You can imagine how that went...

I'm exhausted today, I have a ton of homework, and my cold is getting progressively worse. But, in the words of my wise grandmother, I am trying to make myself a good day. So far, its infinitely better than yesterday, so I can't complain too much. I'm starving right now, so I need to go make myself some lunch before my Macro class (which I don't understand at all anymore). Too bad I don't have any chocolate covered croissants for dessert...


love and miss you all<3

No comments:

Post a Comment