Friday, February 13, 2009

Dali Museum & Girona

I just got back from my day trip and I am exhausted! My group went to the Dali Museum in Figueres and then we took a tour of a town called Girona. The bus ride to Figueres took about two hours but I slept the entire way. We arrived at the museum at about 11:30 am and were given some directions about meeting points, times, etc. After that we were let loose and able to go off on our own in the museum. Let me start off by saying one thing: Salvatore Dali was a crazy son of a gun. Our tour guide told us about how he would put honey on the tips of his funky mustache and wait for flies to land on it. Once they landed on it he would grab the fly and eat it. Delicious? Not so much. Now on to his artwork. When my grammy and I took a little trip to NYC this fall we went to the MET. I remember walking through the painting part of the museum and seeing Dali's paintings. They definitely stuck out and were probably some of my favorite pieces there. Remembering that, I was pretty excited to go see a museum dedicated entirely to him. How to describe his artwork? At times crazy, at times intricately detailed, at times simple....mostly crazy. But there is totally a method to his madness. At first glance the paintings just look like madness on a canvas...but with a closer look, and some explanation, you can definitely see the deeper stuff and the work that went into them. The museum had his paintings, sculptures, and even entire rooms he decorated with his artwork. The weirdest thing we saw? A giant upside down boat with what appeared to be falling raindrops from the base of it. Our tour guide asked us what we thought the droplets were made out of. No one guessed correctly so she finally told us. Dali made the raindrops out of condoms filled with water. As I said before...crazy son of a gun.

We were responsible for getting our own lunch before we returned to the bus to drive to Girona. After we left the Dali Museum we found this cute little tapas cafe only a few feet from the museum. I ended up ordering paella and bread with tomatoes and olive oil on it. Then the waitress brings us a basket of bread that everyone shared. That would happen to me. I would order more bread when there is free bread on the table. OR SO I THOUGHT! I get my bill from the waitress and I see that I, along with everyone else, was charged 1Euro for the bread baskets she brought to the table. Awesome. She totally put the bread on the table like it was free, and NOWHERE did it say that the bread they bring to you was not complimentary. Additionally, she charged EVERYONE for the baskets of bread...even if a person didn't eat it. Basically at the end of my meal I had eaten so much bread I had turned into a loaf, I was angry at the waitress, and I had totally forgotten how delicious my paella was.

We were supposed to meet back at the bus at 3:50 and we were explicitly told they would leave without us if we weren't there. Come 3:55 there are three people missing and by 4:20 they still weren't back. We finally left without them and turns out they just decided they wanted to stay in Figueres but felt no need to tell anyone. Have fun getting back to Barcelona! Idiots. ANYWAY! The drive to Girona was about 45 minutes...I slept...again. Not thinking logically, I neglected to realize we were driving north and that weather would be a lot colder than Barcelona. Yes, I froze. I'm really starting to think it might pay off to invest in a pair of gloves so I am able to return to the States with my fingers. Then there is the part of me that doesn't want to spend the money after seeing my banking statement the other day. Then there is the part of me that realizes amputation surgery is probably quite pricy. I think I'll get some gloves...

Girona...Hmm. It was a very nice city but I felt like it was a lot like the older parts of Barcelona; kind of like I had already seen it before. We walked around for about an hour and twenty minutes with our tour guide. She was able to tell us some interesting facts about some of the buildings and what not. I guess that was reason enough to go, I learned something new. I basically spent the entire tour taking pictures because the place was absolutely beautiful. I'll be sure to post some pictures up in a blog after I post this one. All in all it was a good day and I'm glad I went. I enjoy just tacking on names of places I have visited to my ever-expanding list. I hope everyone had a good day. I Love and miss you all! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment